The Bard and Jester

Welcome Readers! Here you will find some real life experiences and musings that I'd like to share with you. So, come on in, if you have the time and I'll do my best to be entertaining... Please click on my sponsors' links!!! Established March 12, 2005.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

I can be a clown, a poet, a fool, a romantic, a diplomat, a beast...it all depends upon the timing and circumstance.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

One of Dad's Lessons.

For as long as I can remember, my father had always trained me to be a sort of warrior. He had come from a rough area of South Brooklyn back in the "50's", had been the leader of a local gang called the Gremlins, and was a black belt by the late 60's. He had always stressed the need to know how to defend oneself and how to spot trouble.

I remember once, when I was very young, my father had taken my little sister and I on an errand to the local deli. He went inside while my sister and I waited outside to play.

I don't remember how it started, just that some other little kid--a bully--was hitting my sister and dragging her around by her hair while I stood watching. My father came out of the deli, smacked me on the back of my head and said, "Hey...that's your sister, go protect her."

I did and beat the bully up. But the kid went and got his brother. The trouble was, the brother had a baseball bat and waved it menacingly at me.

My dad came out of the deli again and, instead of breaking up the confrontation, he squatted down beside me, looked me in the eyes and said, "Now, that's a bat. You've gotta be quick." And then he went back into the deli.

I don't remember what occured next, only that no fight happened and the bully, his brother and the bat left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home