The Bard and Jester

Welcome Readers! Here you will find some real life experiences and musings that I'd like to share with you. So, come on in, if you have the time and I'll do my best to be entertaining... Please click on my sponsors' links!!! Established March 12, 2005.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

I can be a clown, a poet, a fool, a romantic, a diplomat, a beast...it all depends upon the timing and circumstance.

Monday, April 18, 2005

Cool Manhattan Moment


manhattan.skyline
Originally uploaded by vraven.
I always had a love/hate relationship with the city...New York City, that is.
It's where I grew up and over the years the sheer press of people, the constant noise, the potpourri stench of garbage in the summer heat, the smelly cattle-like experience of commuting to and from work in the subway...it all became too much for me and I came to loathe Manhattan most of the time.

But every now and then, there'd be a special moment that would surprise me and inspire a grudging love for the city.

One summer night, for instance, on my way home--I lived in Brooklyn about 15 minutes from Greenwhich Village--I got stuck in the gridlock of vehicles waiting to enter the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. I must've sat in that long line for at least an hour.

At some point, a bored driver a few cars behind me began to drum his or her horn. Other cars joined in and soon they had a cool honking beat going.

There was a dark luxury car directly in front of me. Suddenly, its sunroof slid back and the flared end of a trumpet emerged, adding its swirling notes to the beat of the car horns.

It was a real music video moment and I had to smile.

I whispered, "Damn you, New York, how you make me love you sometimes..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home